May 7, 2020
The Honorable Jan Schakowsky
2367 Rayburn House Office Building
Dear Representative Schakowsky:
On behalf of our millions of members and supporters, I write to endorse H.R. 6698, the Quality of Care for Nursing Home Residents During COVID-19 Act of 2020.
Among other things, this bill requires facilities to:
- have a full-time infection interventionist on staff;
- regularly test residents and staff;
- provide enough personal protective equipment (PPE) for all employees and report PPE shortages at least 24 hours before shortage is expected to occur;
- offer at least two weeks of paid sick leave to each employee; and
- facilitate virtual visits for residents who cannot receive visitors to look in on them during lockdown.
H.R. 6698 also authorizes $100 million to provide to states for strike teams to address resident or worker safety within 72 hours of a COVID case being reported.
This comprehensive legislation is urgently needed to make sure that seniors in nursing homes are kept as safe as possible during this public health emergency. I applaud you for your leadership safeguarding the health and security of seniors during this crisis in which they are especially vulnerable.
President and CEO