July 11, 2013
Dear Long-Term Care Commissioners:
On behalf of the millions of members and supporters of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare (NCPSSM), we thank you for participating in the Long-Term Care (LTC) Commission and for your commitment to the needs of individuals requiring long-term services and supports (LTSS). While there are many issues that the LTC Commission must examine over the next three months, below are nine recommendations that we hope you will consider during your deliberations. We have included a one-page summary of the recommendations, followed by detailed descriptions.
1. Extending the LTC Commission’s Work Timeframe
2. Educating Americans about LTC Realities and Options
3. Developing a National LTC System
4. Shifting Resources from Institutional Care to Home- and Community-Based Services
5. Supporting Family Caregivers
6. Reauthorizing the Older Americans Act
7. Promoting Strong Consumer Protections for Dual Eligible Individuals
8. Strengthening the Medicaid Program9. Making Private LTC Term Care Insurance More Affordable
We hope this information is helpful to the Commission. Please let us know if our organization can be of assistance as you move forward with your work.
President and CEO