Q. I will be 62 in March. I have a child who has been disabled since birth. He began to receive SSI benefits when he turned 18. When I start Social Security, will I get extra money for him?

A. When you are eligible for a Social Security benefit, your disabled child will be eligible for a dependent benefit as long as he is in your care. Because SSI is an assistance benefit based on need, your child’s SSI will likely be reduced when he becomes entitled to Social Security.

You might find helpful the Social Security Administration publication Benefits for Children With Disabilities. This publication gives a good description of dependent benefits for family members. Go to http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf