Q. I receive social security disability but was claimed as a tax dependent. If that person passes away and I’m no longer claimed as their dependent will my Social Security disability rise or will it remain the same.

A. Whether your Social Security benefit will increase when you are alone depends on the type of benefit you receive.

If you are receiving your own Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefit based on your personal earnings record, the only increase is annual cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs).

If you are receiving a Social Security Disabled Adult Child (DAC) benefit based on a parent’s Social Security earnings record, it would increase upon the death of the parent. During the parent’s lifetime, a dependent child receives a maximum of 50 percent of the parent’s full benefit. A surviving dependent child receives up to 75 percent of the parent’s full benefit.