Q:  I am 62 and am divorced after a marriage that lasted 15 years.  Can I receive benefits on my former husband’s record, even though he is still working?

A:  As long as your marriage lasted 10 consecutive years and you are still unmarried, you can qualify for a divorced spouse’s benefit on your former husband’s record at any time after reaching age 62.  The fact that your husband hasn’t started receiving Social Security benefits doesn’t matter if he is at least age 62 and your divorce has been final for at least two years.

If you wait until your full retirement age to begin receiving Social Security retirement benefits, you have another option.  You could apply only for a spouse’s benefit at that time and defer applying for benefits on your own record.  Your own benefit would then continue to grow until you reach age 70 (unless you elect to begin your own benefits at some earlier age).