Q. The Department of Child Support Enforcement started garnishing my Social Security Disability Insurance benefit for child support arrears they claim I owed. This began after my son graduated from high school and turned 18. I do not owe child support nor do I owe child support arrears. Can you please help me contact the Social Security Administration to stop this illegal garnishment of my small Social Security Disability benefit?

A. The Social Security Administration is obligated to honor a court order for garnishment of child support. To have the deductions ceased, you will have to petition the issuing court to rescind the order. This is a legal matter that must be resolved in a court.