Q. My daughter is named as the guardian of our disabled son when we both pass away. Will she be entitled to Social Security as the “guardian” of a disabled child? What will the payments be, if any, in relationship to my present Social Security payments?


A. Social Security provides a benefit to a parent caring for a young dependent child or a disabled adult child entitled to benefits. A guardian or other caregiver is not entitled to a benefit.

A surviving disabled adult child is entitled to a benefit equal to 75 percent of the wage earner’s Primary Insurance Amount (PIA). A PIA is the monthly benefit a wage earner receives if he or she begins Social Security retirement benefits in the month full retirement age is reached. If you retired earlier or later, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for your Primary Insurance Amount. That will enable you to determine how much your daughter will receive on your son’s behalf when she becomes his guardian.