Q. My brother has child support arrears. Can his disability benefits be garnished?

A. Federal payments such as Social Security are subject to garnishment for unpaid alimony and child support.

The individual owed the unpaid support must obtain a court order garnisheeing benefits. The order must be submitted to the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration is required by law to comply with valid support orders.