Q. My husband and I are legally separated, living in different states. We have one minor child. He has applied for disability. He says that my daughter will receive some few hundred dollars a month until she is 18. Will this be taxable income to me? Or taxed to the minor child? He also said she will receive Medicaid. Is that true?


A. Any Social Security benefit paid to you on behalf of your daughter will be your daughter’s income. Federal income taxes would be payable on those benefits only if your daughter’s income exceeded the taxable thresholds.

Your husband will become eligible for Medicare (not Medicaid) after he has received Social Security Disability Insurance benefits for two years. Medicare is a social insurance program financed by payroll taxes and Federal general revenue. Medicaid is a medical assistance program administered by the individual states. Your daughter will not become eligible for Medicare.