Q:  My daughter will serve as the guardian of our disabled son when we both pass away.  He is currently receiving Social Security on his father’s record.  Will my daughter be entitled to Social Security as the “guardian” of a disabled child?  What will the payments be, if any, on my Social Security record?

A:  Social Security provides a benefit to a parent caring for a young dependent child or a disabled adult child who is entitled to benefits.  However, a guardian or other caregiver would not be entitled to a benefit, even though the disabled child is entitled to benefits.